Have you gotten WISE yet? Whittier IS Enriched! is offered by the PTO and is a 100% volunteer-run, fee-based, after-school enrichment program available to all Whittier students. We provide experiences in the arts, academics, STEM and athletics.
When planning classes, we try to bring as many local teachers and programs into WISE as possible because Oak Park is a tremendous community, full of individuals who can share their experiences and talents with your children. We especially love our classes taught by our Whittier staff and Whittier parents.
The WISE program is 100% parent-volunteer supported. We have had an amazing group of dedicated parents each session that help us run the day-to-day attendance and dismissal of our classes. Please watch your email for details on how to sign up – it’s a fun and easy way to contribute! And thank you to all our past and present parent volunteers, as WISE could not run without you!
We are also happy to be able to provide our students with a nut-free snack before their classes. The students meet our parent volunteers in the auditorium, where they receive their snack and take a seat to eat while attendance is taken. The instructors then come to get their classes and the fun begins! At 4:15, the instructors bring the students down to the dismissal volunteers, and the kids are counted and dismissed outside to their grown-ups. We make sure all students are accounted for at attendance and dismissal.
So, please, take a look at the wonderful classes we have to offer. If you have any questions, you can email the WISE Planning Team at WISE@whittierpto.org. We are always looking for assistance, and we know the Whittier community is full of talent! WISE is growing every year, and we are proud to be able to bring a variety of offerings to help make your child’s after-school experience as enriched as their in-school experience!
If you have suggestions on how to improve the WISE program, please email us at WISEWhittier@gmail.com
IMPORTANT REGISTRATION DATES
- Monday, December 4th
Registration begins online and in the Whittier office
- Wednesday, December 13th
LAST DAY for scholarship requests and early bird pricing (save $10/class)
- Friday, December 15th
THE LINE UP
Our Winter 2018 WISE after-school enrichment program has something for everyone, including some old favorites, and a few new ones!
|Hip Hop Dance||X||X||X||X||X|
|Learn to Knit||X||X||X|
|Chicago Edge Soccer||X||X||X||X|
|*NEW* Ethical Entrepreneurs||X||X||X||X|
|Let’s Get Crafty||X||X||X||X|
|Actor’s Garden: A Play a Day||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|*NEW* Programming Ozobots||X||X||X|
|The Science Lab||X||X||X||X||X||X|
This session’s WISE classes begin Monday, January 8th through Thursday, March 22nd. There are NO CLASSES on the following days:
- Monday, January 15th (MLK Day)
- Monday-Thursday, February 5-8th (Parent-Teacher Conference Week)
- Monday, February 19th (Presidents’ Day)
- Tuesday, March 20th (Institute Day)
All classes this session end at 4:15 pm. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday classes are one hour, 20 minutes, and Wednesday classes are two hours, 20 minutes.
Need-based scholarships are available to those who qualify (maximum one course per child). Check the box on the sign-up form to request. Scholarships, like all WISE classes, are first-come, first-served. No scholarship requests will be accepted after Wednesday, December 13th.
Registration begins Monday, December 4th and ends Friday, December 15th. In the past, many classes have filled up the first day, so timely registration is recommended. There are two ways to register:
- Place the completed registration form and your check (payable to Whittier PTO) in an envelope and deliver it to the Whittier office. Forms should NOT be given to your child’s teacher, as this will delay the registration process.
- Go to http://whittierpto.org/index.php/wise/to register and pay online via PayPal (total will include a convenience fee). This is a two-step process (one to register, one to pay).
You will receive registration confirmation by email the week before classes begin. No registrations will be accepted after the session has begun, and no refunds will be issued after the second class. Registrations without payment will not be accepted unless you are requesting a scholarship.
- After the dismissal bell, your child will report to the auditorium, where attendance will be taken and children will receive a nut-free snack.
- Instructors will escort your child to the front office of the school at the end of WISE. Parents/guardians should pick up their children PROMPTLY at 4:15 pm.
- If your child will be absent, please mention WISE when you call the school office, so that we are alerted. We take your children’s safety very seriously, and we must account for every child.
WISE needs volunteers for our program to run. If you are able to help take attendance and supervise students before their class starts OR help dismiss them when classes end, please email WISE@whittierpto.org.
Please email WISE@whittierpto.org or call the Whittier office at 708-524-3080.